Sunday, March 2, 2008

My dispatcher friend Lucy

I tend to use the same cab company when I travel in Maseru and have struck up a bit of a friendship with a couple of the dispatchers. They know me by name and know the few locations that my commuting revolves around. One of these dispatchers, Lucy, is a particularly good friend of mine. Recently, when my cabbie came by he took an unusual route. About half way through he pulled up to a building I had never seen before with a line of people stretching out the back. When I asked him what was going on he explained, using our patented blend of his bad English and my worse Sesotho, that Lucy was inside and that it might be nice if I went and said hello. So I did. My dispatcher friend was waiting in line and was quite nice in person, neatly dressed in a traditional dress and with a very friendly smile. Only when we got back in the car and began driving away did I think to ask what the building was that should have such a long line in the middle of the day; it was the Department of Funeral Services.

No comments: